Saturday 23 July 2011

The Only Way Was Essex

On the 22nd June 2011 in the Ivor Crewe Lecture Hall I went from being a graduand to a graduate! It was a fantastic ceremony, conducted by Chancellor Lord Phillips of Sudbury and included speeches from heads of departments and the incoming Vice-Chancellor.

As I sat there for over an hour with the speeches being made, and the names of firstly the History of Art students then the E15 students being called, it was impossible not to feel nervous! But finally as it was the turn of us History students and then the eleven of us who studied Modern History and Politics were to be called I drew a deep breath and the nerves went and most importantly I didn't trip, slip or fall! 

It was great to have my family with me on this day, and those who couldn't make it to Colchester were able to view it over the internet as it was being streamed live! Pretty cool! 

After the ceremony we had official pictures taken and then to the Departmental reception which was a great way to say goodbye to some good old friends, although there was many I missed on the day! and also thank my excellent lecturers for their tuition and to promise to keep in touch with them as well. 

With reflection on the three years, I honestly feel that there was no other university which I would have wanted to go to for my undergraduate degree. The quality of the tuition, the university's high quality of research and the brilliant people, from all over the world and all social-economic backgrounds have made Essex so fantastic to have studied at. (Especially my awesome Honger!)

After the ceremony, I have gone back home, and it is nice being home for a few days now and having a bit of relaxation with the family, but I'm soon going to be picking up with Clare's family in Bath for their UK trip - busy times!

Only three weeks until I go to China now, the summer doesn't seem to really have started because I have had so many things to do and things coming up, but it will be great to be in Beijing in August, the weather is going to be 30c+!! 

I'll write another post after I come back from the UK trip, until then, thank you, good night, much love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment